Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Switching Rest Days

Normally I like to take my rest days on Mondays, but this week it worked out better for me to switch and take Sunday as a rest day and work out on Monday.  (In truth, that means that it worked out best for me to stay out late Saturday night, brunch on Sunday and then be lazy the rest of the day Sunday!  But it was a really fun weekend!).  Of course, I had to make-up for some of that over-indulgence at some point and today seemed like the perfect day. 

I ended up going to the gym after work tonight.  Normally I'd leave work, walk to the gym by our apartment and then go home, but today was so cold that I opted to go to the gym in our work building and then take the subway home so I didn't freeze while walking home.  Turns out that Monday nights are quite popular at the work gym around 6 pm.  Noted for future reference. 

I ended up starting out on the only available cardio machine ... the stair mill.  Hey, works fine for me!  I love that thing!  I spent a sweaty 30 minutes on the stair mill on Level 11.  Truly, the only reason I bumped it up to Level 11 (from Level 10) is that I've been annoyed that I couldn't get over 3 miles in my 30 minutes of stair climbing.  I wanted to see how far I could get if I bumped it up one level.  Turns out that gets you to 3.2 miles.  Whoo hoo!  Maybe after a few more tries at Level 11, I'll have to bump it up some more...

After the 30 minutes on the stair mill, I walked around trying to find something else that was open, which wasn't easy.  I actually started stretching thinking that I might have to just give up and go home when a treadmill opened up.  I checked to make sure that no one else was waiting for it and I hopped on and got going.  By that point, though, I wasn't 100% into it and was thinking that I might cut it a bit short.  Especially since right after that a very long line formed of people waiting for the treadmill and I felt bad that I was on it and they were all waiting. 

I ended up doing 2.5 miles, which was really 2.0 miles running and 0.5 miles walking.  I have to tell you that I felt like people were staring me down with death rays when I was walking and doing the cool down, but since I hadn't exceeded the 30 minute time limit, I tried not to let it bother me too much (or any more than it already was). 

I couldn't believe how crowded the gym still was at 7:30ish on a Monday night.  Must still be a lot of January joiners.  Which I'm glad to see them at the gym, but maybe I'd be more glad if they didn't come all at once?  

Stair Mill
Time: 30:48
Distance: 3.20 miles
Calories: 275

Running
Time: 27:56
Distance: 2.50 miles
Calories: 251

No comments:

Post a Comment