Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Weight Lifting Alone

I've been trying not to get too burned out on doing any one thing every single time I go to the gym.  I'm hoping that this makes me want to go more often since there will be more of a variety.  I'd like to do some spinning one of these times, but with our current gym still in the remodeling process, that's not the easiest thing to arrange at the moment, but I'm keeping my eye out for when it gets better! 

Since I had run and stair-milled yesterday, I decided to get my elliptical on tonight.  It wasn't that exciting.  I read my book and tried to push myself harder than usual.  Mostly I do this by making the resistance really high while doing intervals of varying resistance.  I have to say that it's a little disheartening when I feel like I'm working really hard, but going slowly because of the higher resistance to look over at the people next to me who are going really fast, but only at resistance level 1.  I like to tell myself that my workout is harder than theirs, but I'm not sure that's true.  I only think that the varying levels of resistance keep me from dying of boredom on the elliptical. 

After the elliptical, I decided that I'd venture to the weight room and do some weight lifting on my own.  Normally I'd wait until I was with Drew, just because I like it better when he's there, but since he's traveling for work, I was left to my own devices tonight.  However, I did most of the same things that we did on Saturday together, except I threw in a seated row because I actually really like that lift and I've been wanting to do it for a while now.

I was a little nervous while doing the arm curls alternating with the jumps because another guy had put his water bottle and towel on the jumping box while he was using the cable machine.  So, I had to ask him to move it in order to get my jumps in.  I'm sure he thought that no one would use the box, so I can't be too upset, but is it really that hard to just keep your things on or beside the piece of equipment you're actually using? 

The worst part was that when I was doing my first round of jumps I noticed in the mirror that I was wearing my shirt inside out.  Sigh.  I was wearing a shirt I don't even like and the fact that I didn't even notice when putting it on that it was inside out made me like it even less.  Might be time to just go ahead and get rid of that one? 

I felt pretty good doing the bench presses.  I didn't want to add too much weight since I didn't have a spotter, so I just used the bar.  By the third set, I was really feeling it and could barely get 6 reps out.  All in all, not the worst weight workout in the world for doing it on my own, I think. 

Stand up shoulder presses
3 x 10 @ 12.5 lbs per arm

Arm curls
3 x 10 @ 12.5 lbs per arm

Jumps
3 x 10 (short box)

Bench Press
2 x 10 @ 45 lbs
6 @ 45 lbs

Seated row
10 @ 40 lbs
10 @ 50 lbs
10 @ 60 lbs

So, I realized that I haven't mentioned how the weight-loss is going, even though I've been doing a lot of talking about the workouts.  This past Saturday I weighed in and had lost just about 5 pounds from my max weight, so I've got just over 10 pounds to lose to meet my goal weight by April.  I have to say that I've been doing a really good job of eating right and making good decisions, with the small exception of having splurged on Saturday night.  But, truly, one night out of the month isn't going to make or break me.  Plus, it was tons of fun and totally worth it.  In an ideal world, I'd work out 6 days a week, but it truth it's been more like 5 days a week.  Which I'll take.  Even on days where I don't work out, I still seem to have a calorie deficit for the day, so I think I'm still on the right track.  Hopefully as long as I stick with it, the rest of this weight will come off! 

Elliptical
Time: 34:58
Distance: 3.00 miles
Calories: 262

Weight Lifting
Time: 16:29
Calories: 100

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

    Thanks!

    Mandie Hayes
    mandie.hayes10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete